Some statistics about the Greek Participation in the mission to Voronya
Kostas writes on the Selas forum:
• The confidence of the team has been strengthened as regards the possibility of discovering a cave of similar depth, greater than -2000m, given that the deepest currently known in Greece is at -1208m.
• Greek participation in one of the most significant explorations of the millennium.
• First ever descent by Greek speleologists to a depth of -1440m.
• The depth of -1440m is equivalent to a cave in the top 12 deepest in the world..
• The Greek team actively participated in the accomplishment of the expedition's objectives by surveying about 900m of the deepest cave in the world - from about 500m to the sump at -1,440m.
• We stayed below -1200m for five days. Until this mission, Greek speleologists had descended and remained at similar depths for very small periods of time (less than an hour)
• The mission to the Voronya is one of the two most significant exploratory attempts which have been ongoing during the last five years the other is Bill Stone's exploration in Mexico.